Steaming fish is one of the simplest and easiest dishes you can prepare. This dish is light and soothing on your stomach, and we normally had steamed fish (when growing up) when we were recovering from an illness.
This is a very simple dish to cook, and you can easily whip up this dish in under 20 minutes!
For this dish, I use orange roughy or deep sea perch, because of their softer texture.
Ingredients that you need:
2 pieces of orange roughy
1 inch of ginger, sliced/julienned
1 branch of spring onion, sliced finely – for garnishing (optional)
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 dashes of pepper
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp rice wine (optional)
1 litre water for steaming
- Place water in the wok and boil the water.
- Wash the fish, and pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Lay the fish fillets in the dish, garnish with soy sauce, pepper, sesame oil and ginger.
- Place the dish into the wok & steamer. Cover and steam for 6-8 minutes. Make sure the water does not go above the base of the plate.
- Check the fish after 6 minutes. You will know the dish is cooked when the flesh has turned white and flakes easily.
- Serve hot.
There is an alternate way to serve this recipe:
Steam the fish without the sauces. (Follow the steps above.)
Heat oil, and fry the ginger; once the ginger is crisp and brownish, add soy sauce and sesame oil. Once the liquid boils, pour the hot liquid/oil onto the fish. Serve hot.
However, I wanted to demonstrate that you can cook a steamed fish dish with minimal fuss and in a healthier way, hence the recipe above.
Do try both methods and let me know how you go about it, and which is your preferred method of steaming fish.
Enjoy this amazing dish steamed fish!
This is the soy sauce I use for this dish – the best soy sauce for steaming fish!
Grab the Rose Brand Soy Sauce for this dish:
|Pepper White||White Pepper 100g pack Product of Malaysia White Pepper 100g whole Product of Vietnam White …||$4.25 – $21.95|