Chicken fried rice using leftover soy sauce chicken
I was brought up with the philosophy of “no wastage” of food: finish not only everything on my plate, but never throw leftover food/dishes away. Instead, be creative and use all the leftovers to recreate other dishes, i.e. stir fry noodles, ramen noodles, kiam chye boay etc.
So today, I am going to use leftover soy chicken for fried rice.
What is fried rice?
It is cooked rice that is stir-fried with ingredients such as egg, vegetables, meat, seafood etc. It can be eaten by itself, like spam fried rice, and the rice dish I made from fish. Most times, fried rice can be eaten as is, and sometimes it is eaten as an accompaniment.
Fried rice is great for weekend meals or for breakfast. My children will take fried rice to work for lunch as well.
Here is the fried rice recipe from leftover soy sauce chicken:
3 Tbsp cooking oil
Half an onion /purple onion – cubed
Soy sauce chicken (leftover)
3 cups leftover cooked rice – preferably cooked rice from the night before
1 cup frozen/ canned vegetables or any quantity you desire
1 Tbsp mushroom sauce or soy sauce
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp of salt
*Note: for this recipe I use fried garlic. Normally, you need 2 cloves of chopped garlic. So the fried garlic can be added towards the end.
- Heat oil, add onion. Stir fry until aromatic.
- Add in chicken, stir for another 20 seconds. Note: Even though it is already cooked, we need to make sure the meat is properly heated up.
- Add in rice; fry for 10 – 20 seconds.
- Add soy sauce and salt, and stir for another 10-20 seconds.
- Add in frozen vegetables, and stir fry for another 20 seconds.
- Add water (only if rice is too dry), otherwise keep stir frying for another 20 seconds; make sure the rice is not stuck on the wok/pan and is mixing well with sauce.
- Move rice to the side of the pan, add 1 Tbsp oil in the center of the wok and add egg. Break the egg yolk, move the rice from the side of pan/wok to cover the egg for about 10 seconds.
- Stir for another 10 – 20 seconds to make sure all ingredients are well cooked.
- Serve hot.
Number of people: 4
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
So be creative and make use of your leftover dishes!
Grab your fresh food ingredients: