Make rice or noodle dishes from leftovers
Leftovers are my best friends!!
I have relied on leftover steamed pork, stir fry vegetables, stir fry chicken to make many wondrous breakfasts and lunches, such as fried rice or fried noodles.
The reason I love using the leftovers for creating new dishes is because they are already cooked and full of flavour, so I do not need to pre-marinade the meat.
Also since they are already pre-cooked, I just need to add them to the noodle or rice that requires very minimal cooking time. So whenever I add them to any noodle or rice dishes, it is both quick and tasty!
For example, for the stir fry noodle dish above, I use my leftover chicken, pork and vegetables. And all I need to do is to add chopped garlic, onion and salt (to taste) and other optional ingredients that you may desire.
Here is my simple recipe:
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 clove of garlic – finely chopped or pound (minced)
- Half onion – sliced
- 1 packet of egg noodles
- 2 Tbsp water (optional)
- Leftover meat dishes – shredded or julienned
- Left over vegetables
- Salt to taste
- Heat wok and add 2 Tbsp cooking oil.
- Add in pounded garlic and sliced onion; stir until aromatic or about 30 seconds
- Add noodles and water; stir fry for 1 -2 minutes. Make sure the noodles are soft and cooked.
- Add the leftover meat and stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Make sure the meat dish is properly heated up to avoid any food *poisoning.
- Lastly add vegetable leftovers and make sure the vegetables are heated up to avoid any food *poisoning.
- Add salt / soy sauce to taste.
- Serve hot.
*Alternatively you can preheat the leftovers, and once the noodles are cooked, pour the leftovers into the noodles.
Number of people: 4
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Note: I would not recommend that you keep leftover vegetables for too many days; normally overnight is good, as they tend to go soggy after that.
As for the meat, normally I would use that up within the next 1-2 days. If you intend to keep them for any longer than that, I would recommend that you keep them in the freezer, and defrost them before cooking.
Enjoy your leftovers. They will come in handy 🙂 Let me know any leftover dishes that you have created.