Simple oven baked curry puffs
I hope you guys had a wonderful long weekend.
Over the Easter long weekend, my children were busy preparing for gatherings with their friends and wanted to prepare some food to take with them for their get-togethers. Some ideas were given, such as whether to prepare sandwiches, fried rice or fried noodles?
What is the fastest and easiest dish to prepare?
My son opted for curry puffs. Not the traditional spiral pastry curry puffs, but the “short cut” curry puffs using puff pastry. Nyonyalicious is all about easy do-able ways to prepare authentic Malaysian cuisine, so the short cut curry puffs are no different.
Here is a simple recipe that is not only delicious, but very easy to make and does not require any cooking skills.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED:
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 packet of Little Nyonya curry chicken paste
- 500g chicken mince or other minced meat of your choice
- 4 large potatoes – cubed
- 1/4 onion – cubed
- Pinch of salt
- 8-10 sheets of puff pastry – from freezer and defrost for about 10 minutes.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg beat gently, put aside
- Preheat the oven at 180 degree/fan forced.
PREPARING THE FILLINGS
- Heat the oil.
- Add onion and fry for about 1 minute.
- Add the paste, stir for 20 seconds.
- Add chicken mince, stir for 20 seconds.
- Add potatoes, stir for 10 seconds.
- Add water; stir to make sure the paste, potatoes and chicken do not stick.
- Close the lid, lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Repeat step 6, and continue to simmer for another 2 minutes or until chicken is cooked and potatoes have softened.
9. You want the filling to be just moist. ** To maintain the crispiness of the puffs.
10. Once cooked, add pinch of salt to taste. * You want it a bit tastier, to contrast the plain tasting pastry.
11. Put aside for it to cool.
Lay out a sheet of the pastry, use a butter knife and cut into 9 pieces. The curry puffs will be in a triangle shape rather than the traditional round shape.
Scoop 1 tbsp of cooked fillings onto the pastry.
Fold the square pastry into a triangle shape and press the edges with a folk.
Brush the exterior of the puffs with egg.
Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes on fan forced 180 degrees or until golden brown.
Cool on tray for about 1 minute and remove them onto a plate or racks.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Serving: 72 pieces
Note: You can refrigerate or freeze the remaining curry puffs for future consumption.
> See the recipe for baked Tuna Rolls
This is the paste I use:
You can purchase your Little Nyonya Curry Chicken Pastes here
|Nyonya Curry Chicken Paste||Curry Chicken is a unique “Nyonya” cuisine as developed using typical Malay spices. Besides the …||$3.95|
|Curry Chicken Vegetarian||$3.95|