This is a simple yet delicious dish that you can whip up within half an hour. I used to make this for my children’s afternoon tea after school.
You can add whatever ingredients you like to this dish. Firstly, you have a choice to purchase your minced meat from the butcher directly, or you can make your own pork mince. I tend to make my own mince pork; however, for this recipe, use pre minced pork.
Here is what you need.
Half kilo pork neck/shoulder – minced
Handful of garlic chives (optional)
5 prawns – minced
1 tsp corn flour
1 tsp soy sauce
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
1 tsp of garlic oil
2-4 Tbsp cooking oil
1/2 cup water
B: 1 Packet of gow gee or wonton wrapper (from Chinese grocery shops)
- Mix ingredients A (except water and oil) and stir well.
- Place one teaspoon mixture onto the gow gee wrapper and fold. Do the same for the remaining mixture.
- Add oil in either a non stick pan or cast iron pan.
- Place dumplings in pan on medium heat once the pan is hot.
- Cook for 5 minutes on low – medium heat, turning the dumplings every 1 minute until the dumpling is slightly “burnt” / browned on both sides.
- **Once both sides of the dumplings are slightly browned, add water into the pan. Immediately place a lid over the pan to avoid hot steam and water from splashing and gushing out of the pan.
- After 5 seconds, lift the lid slightly to let out some of the steam.
- Close the lid again and “boil” the dumpling for another 2-3 minutes until the water has evaporated, or until dumplings are cooked.
- Serve hot.
Number of people: 2 – 4 (about 20 dumplings)
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Ask your children what ingredients they would like to add to the dumplings.
- Get your children to help you with the folding of the dumplings.
Enjoy this simple dish with your family. If you have tried it, I would love to hear your feedback.