Since I wrote about social media and kids a few years ago, in addition to the electronic games, gadgets and computer, so many new things have evolved – tablets and smart phones for example., What about the controversial Newborn-to-Toddler Apptivity Seat with iPad holder by Fisher-Price, to hold iPads for babies?
I am not against modern electronic gadgets, but I have reservations about the Newborn-to-Toddler Apptivity Seat with iPad holder by Fisher-Price. However, I will reserve this topic of discussion for another blog post.
Nowadays, we can’t get by without the internet, computers, smart phones, tablets etc. Research has shown that one in every 5 people in the world own a smartphone, one in every 17 own a tablet (http://www.businessinsider.com.au/smartphone-and-tablet-penetration-2013-10); therefore, it is not possible to prevent our children from being exposed to the new generation gadgets. Even if you don’t have a smart phone or iPad, you still know what they are and what they look like, right?
I personally have worked with the internet full time for more than 18 years. I grew up with television and radio, yet my children had their audio players, and were exposed to television, electronic game gadgets such as Playstation (and others which I don’t even know what they are called), computer and the internet…
BENEFITS OF MODERN TECHNOLOGY
Let’s have a look at the enormous benefits that come with modern technology:
- Patients in the remote areas are able to consult with their doctors via the internet, instead of travelling many kilometers to see the doctor.
- Doctors are able to perform surgery from anywhere in the world – “robotic surgery”, as long as there are computers and secured internet connections.
- When you are doing research on holiday destinations, all the information is at our finger tips. There is no longer the need to depend on your travel agents for information.
- How about researching for school projects – your children just need to log on to their computers, tables or smart phones, and all the information can be found.
- Could not find your way around in the new city – how about GPS from Google?
- What’s the recipe for a dish you love?
- Volumes of eBooks that you can download into one gadget.
- You can now communicate with your loved ones, even for free with the click of a button.
- You are able to connect with your children via their mobile phone, no matter where they are.
- No longer have to depend on snail mail – you can send an e-mail/letter/card in a matter of a few seconds.
- Employees are able to opt to work from home occasionally with the ease of technology and are able to spend more quality time with their families.
- University students can now send/submit their assignments online.
- We can see movies/plays – book online.
- The internet allows many small home based business to run multimillion dollar businesses from the comfort of one’s home.
- Lower marketing budgets are required for businesses because of social media.
What else can you add on to the list?
I would love to hear your feedback on how has the electronic gadgets have improved your lives.
In the next blog – I will write about Modern Day Electronic Gadgets and your children – Friends or Foe?