Simple home made fish ball soup
This soup dish is something you can whip up within 30 minutes. I was running late with dinner preparation and the only thing I had out of the freezer was some white fish, but I could still cook a dish.
There are a few ways I could cook fish – with ginger and salted bean paste, steamed with ginger and soy sauce, pan fry, sweet and sour sauce fish etc.
My other dish is stir fry chicken with mushroom, which is a dry dish, thus I thought it would be a better if I were to cook a soup dish to balance the meal – thus the fish ball soup.
Normally I would make my own fish balls; however, you can always get fish balls, cuttlefish balls etc from your local Asian grocer.
Here is my home made fish method:
- 500g snapper (white meat) [check out other fish from Auusie Farmers site]
- Pinch of salt
- Dash of peppr
- 1 tsp of garlic oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp corn flour
Note: You can add spring onion, prawns etc. to the minced fish.
Grab your fresh food ingredients:
- Fish – cut into 4cm pieces and place in a blender. * Make sure your blender is “powerful” enough to blend fish. Start with smaller portions for blending.
- Add all other ingredients with the fish.
- Blend on high speed for 10 seconds, stop and repeat 2-3 times until mixture is well blended.
- Scoop 1 tbsp of minced fish and make it into a balls with both hands. Repeat the process until finished.
Making the soup
- Prepare 4 liter of boiling water.
- As for the stock, add a handful of anchovies and boil for 3 minutes. I use anchovies (less oily) as stock instead of chicken stock.
(You can get this from the online shop)
- Gradually add fish balls into the boiling water.
- Close the lid and continue to boil for further 20 minutes on low heat.
- For this recipe, I use Chinese cabbage and carrots – add the vegetables 5 minutes before eating. You can add any vegetables of your choice, such as broccoli, cabbage, carrots etc.
Number of people: 4 people
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Enjoy the simple home cooked soup. Love to hear your feedback.